Frequently Asked Questions – Connecticut Injury Lawyers
Home Phone

Frequently Asked Questions

Get your frequently asked questions about abuse answered here.

What to Do After Learning About Abuse

As soon as you confirm neglect or abuse, you should seek help for them immediately. You should make an effort to remove your loved one from the nursing home that they are staying at. If this cannot happen immediately, review your contract with the nursing home. This can determine when it can happen.

Also, you should contact the authorities. Discussing the situation with the police means that criminal action can be taken against the perpetrator. This can give you and your family peace of mind. Another person that you should consider contacting is a lawyer. They can review your loved one’s situation as well as their right to determine where to go next.

How Do I Build Evidence of Abuse?

There are many ways that you can prove abuse in court. As soon as you learn about the abuse, you should bring your loved one to a hospital to document their injuries. A doctor’s diagnosis can be evidence in court. Also, you can take photographs of any visible injuries, which can also be evidence.

Other Forms of Evidence Include:

Call us today to schedule a free consultation with our team. We fight for our clients throughout the Greater Bridgeport Area.

Call Us Today
  • Hospital or treatment bills related to the injuries.
  • A statement from the victim.
  • Eyewitness statements.
  • Expert witness statements.
  • Material gathered from a deposition.
  • Hidden camera footage.

Consult with a neglect and abuse lawyer for more ideas on gathering information. They might have ideas that you have not considered. They will know the best way to defend your loved one’s case based on their knowledge and previous experience.

What is a Deposition?

A deposition consists of a sworn interview of one of the parties involved in a lawsuit. Your loved one may get deposed by the defendant’s lawyer. Or, your loved one’s lawyer may choose to depose the defendant in the case. The purpose of a deposition is to gather facts about the incident to make your case stronger. Because a deposition is a sworn interview, the defendant must tell the truth.

Your loved one’s attorney can use a defendant’s statements as evidence in court. They will know which parties in the case to depose to strengthen your loved one’s case. If your loved one becomes deposed, they can also protect their rights. The can attend the deposition and support your loved one.

What is Compensation?

If your loved pursues a personal injury case, they will try to get compensation. Compensation constitutes money awarded to the victim of neglect or abuse by a court of law. This money helps the victim recover from the pain and suffering of their injuries. It also helps pay for any bills related to the injuries sustained. Fair compensation will be determined based on the specifics of your loved one’s case.

Should I Hire a Lawyer?

The best way to protect your loved one’s rights is to hire a personal injury lawyer. Find someone who has dealt with neglect and abuse cases in the past. Unlike the average person, a lawyer has experience with building a case. If you want to make sure that your loved one’s case is as strong as possible, you should hire a lawyer.

While there is no guarantee that a lawyer will win your loved one’s case, hiring a lawyer can help the case. If you need help contacting a lawyer, contact us. We can help you find the right one to represent your loved one.

Should I Settle My Case?

Every case is different. But in some situations, settling a personal injury case will benefit your loved one. There are many pros and cons to settling a case based one each individual situation. You might want to think about settling your loved one’s case if offered a good settlement. Trial can be unpredictable, time-consuming, and expensive.

So, if your loved one seems happy with a settlement option, this might be the right choice. But, if your lawyer recommends trial, consider rejecting the settlement. Sometimes settlement offers are not enough money to truly help your loved one recover. If this is the case and your loved one is comfortable taking their chances in court, consider going to trial.

If offered a settlement, your lawyer can help you. They can determine if the offer is fair or if your loved one should proceed to trial.


or Contact Us Below.

Secure Your Future &

Request a 100% Free Consultation

Main Contact Form