How Do I File – Connecticut Injury Lawyers
Home Phone

How Do I File

If you’ve been injured while at work, or if you have been diagnosed as suffering from a work-related illness, you need to report your injury to your employer right away and see if you have a worker’s compensation case. Many injured workers think they can wait to report their workplace injuries. Don’t wait. If you wait, you are exposing yourself to a claim by your employer that you were not actually injured on the job. This can impact your right to receive valuable workers’ compensation benefits, including replacement wages, payment of your medical treatment bills, and payment for permanent loss or injury. Immediately report any job-related injury to your employer.

Informing Your Employer

You also need to get prompt medical care and treatment. If you have been hurt at work or are suffering from a work-related illness, you have the absolute right to seek and receive medical care and treatment for your injury. This includes emergency medical care and treatment at the hospital if needed. Your employer cannot deny you time off from work to obtain necessary medical care and treatment. Tell them about your injury as soon as possible after you have been hurt, and demand to receive necessary medical care and treatment. After reporing an injury, your employer should send you for medical treatment as soon as possible. If your employer has a company medical care plan or designated medical care provider, you must initially accept this doctor for your care and treatment. You will have the opportunity to switch to your own doctor later. Our clients sometimes find that the “company doctor” is more concerned with clearing them to return to work rather than treating the real extent of their workplace injury. This isn’t always so, but it is something that you should keep in mind. This explains why you may want to transfer your care and treatment to your own doctor.

Filing a Worker’s Compensation Case Claim

In addition to informing an employer of the injury and receiving prompt medical care and treatment, you also want to file an official claim for your injury with the Workers’ Compensation Commission. The written form that you will need to file your official workers’ compensation claim is known as “The 30C” Form. Many employers keep this form on hand for their injured employees. If your employer does not have a copy, you can print a copy from the Workers’ Compensation Commission’s website. Alternatively, you could get a copy from any Workers’ Compensation District Office. The District Offices are located in Hartford, Norwich, New Haven, Bridgeport, Waterbury, New Britain, Stamford, and Middletown.

The 30C Form, entitled “Notice of Claim for Compensation,” is relatively easy to complete. The form requires your full legal name, your address, and your contact information. You will need to provide the name and contact information for your employer. You will need to specify your injury (or injuries), provide the date that you were injured, and state where you were injured. You should describe your injury and explain how it happened. Finally, you must sign your completed 30C Form.

You will need to file your completed 30C Form with the Workers’ Compensation Commission District Office, and you must also send a copy of the completed form to your employer. These are legal requirements. Your completed 30C Form should be sent by registered or certified mail. We strongly recommend that you send your 30C Form by using certified mail and asking for a return receipt from the Post Office. This receipt provides you with proof of the date that your 30C Form was delivered. You can also deliver it in person, but we do not recommend this. If you insist on delivering it in person, make sure that your employer signs and dates your copy of the form as proof of delivery and of their receipt. You don’t want to jeopardize your eligibility for benefits over a technicality!

Call us today to schedule a free consultation with our team. We fight for our clients throughout the Greater Bridgeport Area.

Call Us Today

You should file your official workers’ compensation claim as soon as possible after you are injured. Workers’ compensation claims have a statute of limitation. You must file within one year of the date of an injury, or if you are suffering from an occupational illness, you must file within three years of the first manifestation of symptoms of a work-related disease or illness. Be warned: Neither the employer’s first report of injury nor an accident report satisfies this legal requirement. You must file the 30C Form within the proper limitations period, or else your claim will be dismissed, and you will lose your eligibility to receive benefits for your injury.

Work With Our Lawyers

Our workers’ compensation lawyers and professional legal staff can assist you in completing and filing your 30C Form to officially commence your workers’ compensation claim. Give us a call to start your recovery.


or Contact Us Below.

Secure Your Future &

Request a 100% Free Consultation

Main Contact Form