Where Should I File – Connecticut Injury Lawyers
Home Phone

Where Should I File

If injured at work, or if you have been diagnosed with an occupational disease or illness, you must file a completed 30C Form to obtain any workers’ compensation benefits for which you may be eligible.

Filing Your Claim

You should file your 30C Form right away after you are injured or as soon as possible after any manifestation of symptoms in the case of an occupational disease or illness. You have one year from the date of your workplace injury, or three years from knowledge of the first symptom of your disease or illness, to make your claim. This is known as the statute of limitations. If you fail to timely file your workers’ compensation claim, you will lose eligibility to receive benefits, including wage replacement wages, payment of your medical bills, and an award for permanent injury that you would have otherwise been entitled to.

You should file your workers’ compensation case in the District Office for the place where you were injured. This may not be where you live or where your employer’s facility is located.


For example: If a cable company worker, who lives in New Haven, is dispatched from her employer’s business in Waterbury to a work location in Bridgeport, and she is injured in Bridgeport, the location of her workers’ compensation claim is Bridgeport, and she will then file her claim in the Fourth District of the Workers’ Compensation Commission. Her claim is not located in Waterbury (Fifth District), where her employer is based. Her claim is also not located in New Haven (Third District), where she lives. Rather, it is in Bridgeport in the Fourth District. That’s where she was injured.

Here’s another example: A factory worker, who lives in Hartford (First District), works in the company’s factory in Middletown (Eighth District), and is injured in a car accident on I-84 on his way to work. Where should he file? Trick question. His injury is not on the job and is outside the scope of workers’ compensation. He needs to file a personal injury claim for any injury resulting from the motor vehicle collision.

Call us today to schedule a free consultation with our team. We fight for our clients throughout the Greater Bridgeport Area.

Call Us Today

District Offices

The idea behind this rule is that it confirms that the injury occurred within Connecticut. In order to receive Connecticut workers’ compensation benefits, the injury or illness must have occurred within Connecticut. Also, rather than having a single location within the entire state, having multiple district offices helps promote expediency and efficiency in resolving workers’ compensation cases. It would be unfair to make a Stamford worker travel to a central location in Hartford to bring her claim unless, of course, her work sent her to Hartford, and she was injured on the job in Hartford. Then she would have to file in Hartford. The general idea is to make it so that injured workers, and their employers, do not have to travel outside the areas where they typically work. Connecticut has eight District Offices in Hartford, Norwich, New Haven, Bridgeport, Waterbury, New Britain, Stamford, and Middletown to accommodate a fair geographic split between workers’ compensation cases.

The Workers’ Compensation Commission’s website (portal.ct.gov/wcc) contains a comprehensive list of each District Office and each town and city located within the particular district. For your convenience, we list each District Office here, along with several representative towns and cities included within each district.

  • First District: Bloomfield, East Hartford, Hartford, Somers, Tolland, Vernon, and Windsor
  • Second District: Bolton, Columbia, Groton, Ledyard, New London, Norwich, and Windham
  • Third District: Branford, East Haven, Hamden, New Haven, Orange, and West Haven
  • Fourth District: Ansonia, Bridgeport, Milford, Monroe, Shelton, Trumbull, and Westport
  • Fifth District: Litchfield, Middlebury, Naugatuck, Southbury, Torrington, and Waterbury
  • Sixth District: Avon, Bristol, Farmington, New Britain, Southington, and West Hartford
  • Seventh District: Danbury, Greenwich, Norwalk, Ridgefield, Stamford, and Wilton
  • Eighth District: Cromwell, Manchester, Meriden, Middletown, Rocky Hill, and Wallingford

The District Offices are generally organized by towns and cities in proximity to each other. You need to file your workers’ compensation claim in the correct District Office. If you are not sure where to file your claim, you have several options:

  1. You can check the Workers’ Compensation website, which contains a Map of the District Offices.
  2. You can call any District Office and they will point you in the correct direction.
  3. You can contact our office. Our lawyers can provide you with the correct information, and we can also file your 30C Form as part of your legal representation. We are here to help!

or Contact Us Below.

Secure Your Future &

Request a 100% Free Consultation

Main Contact Form